Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Connect Super Joy to Mini Arcade Joystick for 78 Games

This weekend I dismantled an old Super Joy I had that came with 78 games pre loaded on it. There are several old Atari games, and also many Nintendo and arcade titles. Few of my favorites on this joystick include Dig Dug, Galaga, Super Mario Bros, Contra, and Joust. Of course I have played them all yet, so imagine there are some gems on there I have yet to come across.

Purpose for dismantling the joystick was to see if I could connect it to one of the 12 in 1 game systems I use for my mini arcades. I like the joysticks on the mini arcades a lot, very good quality, and work great. There are only 12 games though, so I thought a little more variety would be good, and I hadn't touched the Super Joy in about 5 years since I hated the joystick and the short cable to connect to the TV, so figured I might as well see if I could get some use out of it.

Opening up the joystick was very easy, they aren't exactly the best quality things out there, and looking at the buttons and d pad it looked pretty easy to connect to the other controls. Essentially just a carbon pad that shorted out on the circuit board contacts when pushed down by a button or one of the directional controls.

No comments:

Post a Comment