Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pinball Cabinet Artwork Completed

Didn't feel like shelling out big bucks to use Adobe Illustrator for creating vector art to use on the pinball machine, really enjoy using Inkscape though and the price can't be beat.

Here are some pics of the artwork I printed on 8.5 X 11 pages, lots of 8.5 X 11 pages :)

Will tape these all together and test fit them on the cabinet, plan to have a black background which will really make the art pop, but didn't want to print everything in black and kill my print cartridge.

These vector images were created from raster images I found on the pinball database. Used art from the Pinbot genre, including Jackbot, Pinbot, and also Bride of Pinbot.

For the cabinet art on the side, I plan to animate the 1-8 numbers and Jackpot on the robots leg with LEDs. I will either make a circuit board to drive this animation, or cheat and hook up a LEDWIZ or some other output controller to create the effect. Working with the printing shop now to understand if the vinyl they use is clear in which case I'll just inlay LEDs in the cab and have them under the decal and they should light up the images I want. Have to test it but if this approach won't work then I'll have to inlay acrylic cutouts or something.

The effect should look great though, I will time it so that it slowly goes up, and then blinks like mad when the jackpot level is reached, this animation will just play all the time and won't be linked to any of the Visual Pinball software I am using.
























1 comment: